So, if you’re anything like me, you’ve probably got a to do list that’s longer than Rip Van Winkle’s beard by this point in the year. The end of the grading period is drawing near, and I’m drowning in a pile of papers to grade along with a series of faculty and club meetings, lunch duty and about a million other things. But I’ve still been thinking about ways to use technology to make mine and my students’ lives flow a little more smoothly (at least in regards to class related tasks).
So I’ve got a short list of things I’m brainstorming on, hoping that someone out there has a solution to some of them that seems to work for them.
- Creating class webpages.
- Maybe through Google Sites, since my school uses Google apps for education, but I’m way open to suggestions here. My main thought process is what exactly I can accomplish through these websites, and how to make the best use of them to make everything more simple. I already use Google Classroom to share information, reminders and assignments with my students. I also use Google Calendars to share forthcoming dates and deadlines. I’m hoping a class webpage is a good way to combine everything in one easily accessible place for students to use.
- Creating YouTube content to help my class.
- So I know I’ve discussed using various programs to flip a classroom. It’s not something I’ve quite been able to accomplish successfully this year. But it’s still on my mind. I’ve been toying with the idea of creating videos going over concepts or working example problems for them to go back over. I’m sure there’s a plethora of videos already in existence, but it’s still something I’d like to explore.
- Creating a webpage to help share information with fellow teachers.
- I’ve gotten together a ton of information over the past fifteen years of teaching, basically developed the whole curriculum for somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 different science courses, ranging from 6th grade science up to AP level Physics and Chemistry. I’ve shared quite a bit of it with teachers here in my school that have need of it, but I’d like to find a way to share things with teachers in the world at large. I’d also like to find a way to do so without making the materials accessible to tech savvy students (because there’s nothing more frustrating than finding out the kids googled the answers to the worksheet you gave them for homework). I’m looking for options where I can create a site that involves having people sign up for accounts where I can approve or disapprove their enrollment and provide a password option. Honestly, it’s had me looking back to old school bulletin boards for the solution.
- Sharing content on Teachers Pay Teachers.
- I’ve had a TPT acccount for quite some time, but I’d like to expand with materials there as well. Maybe come up with some whole curricula that I can share for the classes I have. I think this one is just going to involve some organization and time. Not sure what I’m going to be able to accomplish there without a time machine, so if any of you figure out that one, let me know.
Alright guys, if you have any solutions to any of this that you’ve found effective, feel free to share them in the comments or send me a message. I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.